Saturday 8 April 2017

Just Smile


Another difficult day at the office yesterday. When she came home from work it was not hard to tell that things had gone badly. When this happens we both slip into our default positions. She tries hard to pretend that everything is fine whilst at the same time sending out non-verbal messages that are screaming “I made another mistake and am unhappy and worried.” My habit is to only hear the non-verbal message and to keep pushing until she tells me what is wrong. 

I was thinking today that sometimes it's best to just put a smile on our faces and pretend that we are happy, even when we don't feel like it. If I encourage her to do this more often and do the same myself then maybe when things get difficult we just might convince ourselves that all is fine. And end up smiling for real.

The route to happiness is sometimes through a forced smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment